Sustainable investments for you and the next generation = SUCCESS
Farmers and businesses across Missouri are implementing 4R practices. Below are just a few of the great advantages of using 4R Nutrient Stewardship Practices:
- Crop fertilization program consisting of right fertilizer source, applied at the right rate and right time and in the right place.
- An efficient, effective, science-based use of plant nutrients to achieve agronomic, economic, social and environmental benefits.
- Optimized yield with reduced nutrient losses from the field by matching crop requirements and nutrient supply.
- Proper nutrient management promotes crop growth and improves soil health.
- Enhanced soil organic matter levels by producing more root and crop residue biomass.
- Maximize the ability of the soil to provide all essential nutrients in adequate amounts relative to plant need.
- Efficient use of water through the combined interaction of soil, nutrients and water.
- Efficient plant nutrient uptake and reduced loss to the environment by keeping nutrients in the root zone.
- Maximize fertilizer ROI by minimizing nutrient losses and increasing productivity.
- Framework encourages discussion between farmers and crop advisers about improving fertilizer management practices.
Dr. Jason Weirich,
VP of Sales and Agronomy, MFA
Director of Environmental Programs, Missouri Soybean
We have been no-tilling corn and beans for over 25 years. In 2011 we started using cover crops. We have used grid sampling in the past but with soil health improving they really compliment each other. Costs have gone down while yields have increased. It is so exciting to see soil texture change and the soil come alive.
Kenny Reichert, farmer
“Prairieland FS is committed to stewarding best agronomic practices that minimize environmental impact, optimize harvest yield, and maximize input utilization to generate positive returns for our patron owners. We at Prairieland FS strive to promote and recommend those products and practices that are backed by sound science, and we actively encourage our patron growers to engage with us in field applied research initiatives that verify product and concept performance on growers farms. We hold to high standards of nutrient management practices that promote the 4R principles, where right source, rate, timing and placement of nutrients are considerate of the environment and our growers profitability. We are keenly aware of our natural resources of land, water, and wildlife as well as our communities of people in our immediate geography and those who are downstream; therefore, we are committed to promoting, educating, and mentoring right practices so we can continue to operate in an environment where freedom of choice is sustained, profits are maximized and our environments and ecosystems are healthy and thriving.”
Agronomic Services and Precision Department Manager
“By using 4R practices on our operation we have began building a soil health foundation which gives our land the opportunity to produce a sustainable crop in challenging environments while minimizing any downstream impact on our neighbors and the public who enjoy the water and nutrient resources that we are trying to maintain and protect.”
Britt Farms Inc.